Sunday, July 20, 2014

Why pursue such a cause as animal rights?

I spend a part of every day at my computer with several animal activist groups who organize petition and letter writing campaigns for politicians, corporations, university medical schools and government officials. These groups question, protest and give information about the never ending killing, especially of wild animals in the west, information that is never in the “news,”  which by the way is never news but a distortion, a formulaic and lop-sided glancing glimpse at reality. These sign-up (sigh-up) campaigns usually have a line asking us to personalize the messages.  Someone emailed me that it was a waste of time to write anything personal. A good point really.   Here’s what I said.

Much of the time I do only add my name to petitions because I know that adding another number is the most help I can give.  I know that in general nobody reads these words. You say the Joe Shmoes delete them without reading them. Of course they do – they are part of the sleepwalkers who make up most of humanity.  I know they are there.   Nothing in life is so difficult as communication.  I just keep on and I think it’s better to use the best mind I have at any given moment in this great planetary crisis that most people think is not occurring. Killing our animal co-inhabitants is a significant and deeply meaningful part of the assault on the web of life itself.

Once I’ve written personal comments I post them on my blog and sometimes on Facebook, and to some on my email list. Sometimes when I write to University presidents and people like that I get an answer.  I got an answer from a sheriff a couple of times, a few times from editors. Quite often I get an answer from politicians too, although I know the actual letters don’t have much of a chance to get to them. 

I will continue to write my thoughts and hope that they may edge someone here and there a little closer.  A stranger responded negatively to one of my Facebook comments about wolf and coyote killers – she said it was the first time she had ever seen or heard anyone use the term “wealthy ranchers.”  She thinks there is no such thing. !!!!  I won’t respond because it’s impossible to communicate with anyone who makes such a strange statement, a statement that illuminates so clearly her world which she thinks is the only world.  The obstacles we face are complex and quite terrible, really.  And THEY think the same thing about us.  !!!!   We all think we’re on the right side. 

As humans we can be wrong about anything at any time. In the so-called “wild” a creature who chooses a certain place to walk may be killed and eaten for the mistaken choice while another on another track goes free to live another day. As humans we have thought of ourselves as being superior to nature – a word that can now be interpreted by some of us as the “web of life.” For a long time and still today for some of us, nature is something we conquer…exploit…turn into commerce…transform…fear…think of as a danger.

Some random thinkers referred to the idea throughout time, as far as we know -- the thought that the essential being of our lives is within, not separate from the web of life. Being human, for all our triumphalism, does not mean we can actually transcend nature – the ultimate proof of that lies in the process of our lives and our deaths.  

It has been a complicated dimension of many variations and kinds of persuasion  – the idea that we can be separate from nature, that we are superior to the web of life.  We walk on that path whistling distortions we think will make us safe.  We think our descendants can walk on the same path.


In my small view I feel compelled to think that a different approach to our co-inhabitants on the planet could lead us to different ways of being.  Why do we remain “kill first … take first … win first?”  What has it brought us that we really wanted if we can be truly quiet to think about it for a time?    Evolution awaits us. 

No comments: